Ottawa’s interim police chief says the investigation into the three-week occupation of downtown Ottawa will proceed for “months to return.”
On Saturday, police cleared Wellington Road in entrance of Parliament Hill of protesters for the primary time for the reason that demonstration started on Jan. 28. As officers started shifting into the downtown core on Friday, a number of autos left Wellington Road, Kent Road and different jurisdictions.
Nevertheless, interim chief Steve Bell says the investigation is not going to finish when the demonstrators go away the streets of Ottawa.
“If you’re concerned on this protest, we are going to actively look to establish you and observe up with monetary sanctions and prison prices,” Bell mentioned.
“This investigation will go on for months to return. It has many, many alternative streams each from a federal monetary stage, from a provincial licensing stage, from a Prison Code stage, from a municipal breach of courtroom order, breach of courtroom injunction stage.”
Former police chief Peter Sloly mentioned at first of the demonstration that police could be gathering intelligence on protesters and pursuing prices if obligatory. In addition, Surete du Quebec officers had been seen with video recorders across the Chateau Laurier on Friday.
Bell says the investigation into the “Freedom Convoy” demonstration shall be “sophisticated and time consuming.”
“You’ve my dedication that, that investigation will proceed and we are going to maintain folks accountable for taking our streets over.”
Police have arrested 170 folks for the reason that operation started Friday morning to take away demonstrators from downtown streets.
Police offered the next statistics on autos towed, seized and licences suspended.
- 53 autos towed (46 autos faraway from the secured space since Friday)
- 22 licence plates seized
- 11 Industrial Automobile Operator Registrations suspended
- 10 sanctions underneath the Ontario Emergency Administration and Civil Safety Act for business autos in different provinces